Hats By Katrinka

Kate Brown Pernia is a Milliner on sabbatical in Switzerland. She has been designing hats and teaching millinery under her Katrinka label since the 1980s. Kate is also the founder of Houston Hat Net. View Katrinka hats and hat patterns at www.hatsbykatrinka.com.

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Forever Plaid





Here are a couple of my recent sewing projects. For the bolero I reworked a very old Vogue pattern ($2.00 so that tells you how old!). I made it in that 20 CHF/meter denim and appliqued it with some of my red plaid scraps, old lace and pieces of a vintage Swiss batiste hankie. The embroidery was inspired by Appenzeller men's vests and the lining is indigo dyed cotton I found in the US (and wish I could find here). I DO miss my stash! The cap is my own Katrinka Kenan pattern made with the same fabrics.

I won't wear the bolero and cap together - a bit too costumey - but I do have other pieces they will work with - a straight skirt I made out of the same red plaid fabric, a denim dress and, of course, jeans. I also have a red plaid Jill cap and - just so you know how truly obsessed I am with this plaid - I found a pair of Tommy Girl round toed pumps last year made from the same plaid!

And I wonder why they stare at me???
Kate Q;-)

1 Comments:

At 2:07 AM, Blogger Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

Adorable! Denim, plaid and lace~yessss! And I'm glad the fab round toed plaid made the cut to jump the pond with you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home