Hats By Katrinka

Kate Brown Pernia is a Milliner on sabbatical in Switzerland. She has been designing hats and teaching millinery under her Katrinka label since the 1980s. Kate is also the founder of Houston Hat Net. View Katrinka hats and hat patterns at www.hatsbykatrinka.com.

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Home Again


I’ve been away visiting family and friends in the USA. Almost as soon as I landed I was struck by how spontaneous and friendly Americans are. My sister Gina picked me up at the airport and we dropped in on a jazz festival in Roslyn, Virginia. We knew no one there but it didn’t seem to hamper conversation with kids, grownups and even dogs. Didn’t realize how much I’d missed this easy manner. How much we take for granted!

After visiting with my sisters, nephews and my mother I flew to Texas to take care of a little business and see some good friends. Ray and Beryl spirited me off to Baton Rouge for a few days to see their new house and Garden District neighborhood. They have three of these huge live oaks. What a lovely place with good friends nearby! I know they will enjoy it.

Claremarie hosted a gathering of hat loving pals at her Houston home where we tried on some souvenirs from her world travels.




I believe she said this headdress is a wedding hat from Usbekistan. It's surprisingly comfortable and well balanced.

Marit wowed us all with her fabulous interpretation of the Burberry plaid in silk and Panama straw. I am always pleased and amazed to see my students’ work go far beyond what I have done. It inspires me all over again.


More party pictures can be seen on Houston Hat Net's site at http://www.orgsites.com/tx/houstonhatnet/ and on Jill's blog at http://jillthinksdifferent.blogspot.com/ .

I even fit in a little Fall shopping too. At last, I'm over my jet lag and altitude adjustment. It’s good to be back home with "my old man" in die Schweiz.

1 Comments:

At 9:41 PM, Blogger Marie said...

It was so good spending time with you! Come again soon.....

Marie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home