Hats By Katrinka

Kate Brown Pernia is a Milliner on sabbatical in Switzerland. She has been designing hats and teaching millinery under her Katrinka label since the 1980s. Kate is also the founder of Houston Hat Net. View Katrinka hats and hat patterns at www.hatsbykatrinka.com.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

A Trip to Venice


I took an 8 hour train trip to Venice last week through the spectacular snow covered Alps to see some of the Carnevale celebration. I'd spent time helping my new friend Starr with costumes for her and her husband and they invited me to stay with them for a few days. What a treat! I hadn’t been back to Venice in 35 years and I don’t know why I waited so long! It’s such a lovely city.

We had rainy weather except for one day but I didn’t care. Hey! I was in Venice. I ate Scampi, Rombole and Spaghetti con Vongole and another fabulous spaghetti with scampi, capers and tomatoes (whose name has slipped my mind) and filled my eyes with the costumes, Italian fashions and beautiful vistas every which way we looked. I bought a papier mache Commedia del Arte mask, Murano blown glass earrings and hatpin and also cufflinks for my Sweetie. I was accosted by a group of Roman ladies on my way out of a restaurant who wanted to buy my hat off my head but it was too large. I gave them my web address instead.

And how about these costumes!? Needless to say, I plan to go back to spend more time...and not in another 35 years!

K Q:-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home